Monday, January 31, 2011

2nd Chance

Another go at State it was...  Our team went into the 1997-98 season knowing that we had unfinished business from the previous year..  Returning 4 key guys from the previous team that went to the Championship game in 1996-97 definitely helped our team get out to such a good start.  There was sooooooooo much buzz around little ol Tulia, Texas..   We were also ranked in the top 5 to start season, so with the early season ranking and all the buzz around town there also comes PRESSURE!!  When we went on road games it was like these teams and their fans Hated Us, LOL....  Which now I look back on it and I understand it, but back then I was like man these people are Crazy hahaha..  We go into District Play against our Rival School The Dimmit Wildcats, which is 30 minutes away.  This was probably one of the BEST and LOUDEST Games I've been in as a basketball player.  The gym was so packed that people started standing along the out of bounds on the court!!!  I think we were losing by 15 going into the 4th Quarter and we went on a run that I think paved the way for our playoff run!!  We tied the game on a 3pointer with seconds to go and go into overtime.  Before the start of overtime, many of the Dimmit fans were packing and heading for the doors.  I'm not sure of what the final was but after our win and  a few more District games we are still undefeated and going into the Playoffs as the #1 Team In Texas Class 3AAA.  After winning Area and Regionals we were State Bound once again.  Going into the Semi Final game at the Drum, our team came out a little rusty, but Charles Sims really kept us in the game but it just wasn't enough.  With us as a team playing a bad game we only lost by 1 point, and this was like a nightmare for all of us seeing that this was our first loss of the Season....  It was another Loss for me knowing that this was my other brother Philips last game...    With Philip (Mr. Fix It) leaving going to College, it was the same lonely feeling that I had when Tim left and became a cycle that I didn't enjoy at all..  Being the youngest of  the family I could always turn to my brothers for anything but it was just me and my mom now...  Knowing that both of my brothers are off playing college basketball it was my turn going into my Junior year to focus on trying to do the same..... Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Dimmitt game = one of my dad's fave games to still watch! Greatest come back ever! He loved all you Marshall boys so much! :) Yall were so much fun to watch! Hope all is well in Japan & with your fam!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mikey, its isaiah... i remember all those games you guys won and the way yall played. I was a small kid that just wanted the chance to prove that i could help and just hope for a chance to play with some of you guys. i remember practicing with yall my freshman year and getting to just be on the court before the season started. I was in awe of everything just bein on the court with all of you. and always appreciated the practice time you would put in with me after practice was over. all the times coach would have to come in and kick us out of the gym sayin "sorry guys but i've got a family at home waitin on me" i never wanted to leave that gym. Me and tyrell were talkin about this blog and thought we'd tell ya to get a partner we can still beat ya in 3 up haha

    ReplyDelete